Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hillside ride

Sunday's concert was an education. Wear sunscreen. I remember the song from my matric year... "To the class of '99". Excellent advice it was - and I flippin forgot.

So did everyone else for that matter. The fact is, winter in Maritzburg shouldn't yield such fantastic weather. Normally there's a nip in the air, and as soon as there's an outdoor concert planned, the cold front storms in (pun intended) from Cape Town. But the day was glorious, a mild 23 degrees, not a cloud in the sky in the beautiful Botanical Gardens.


So there we were, mildly sunburnt, but all in all, our gig went well. For a lot of people, it was the first time they'd heard us play. It started a month before, when Dee and Brian Bedingfield came to our show at Bellissimo's in Howick, and afterwards chatted to me and invited us to perform at this Sunday concert alongside Magna Carta, Southern Gypsey Queen, the Hairy Legged Lentil Eaters, Ilan Lax and Zephyr. Who refuses those kind of offers?

But let me tell you, it plays on your mind for weeks - what to play, how to play it and most importantly, why should it be played... I guess I'm still figuring that one out. Point is I just can't help myself.

Anyway, I've discovered why Roberto is so good on the bass. Barry Meintjies (of the Hairies) has blown the secret wide open. We were chatting backstage, and he revealed that most of the time, he's trying to work out what key the band is in. That's how he pulls off those impressive bass runs - not because he intends it, but because he's searching for the right note to play. So Berto, you've been figured.

My brother Jon is back in Cape Town. He changed his flight from Saturday to Monday so he could perform on Sunday. Poor oke had to catch a flight to JHB and then travelled to CT. But having that piano during the set makes a real difference (cheers, bru!).

Later.
RAC.

No comments: